Two Genre Reflexion

Reflexion

The process of moving from my research paper to my composition project was not a very difficult process since much research was done in the analytical essay. I definitely enjoyed the two-genre assignment because we were able to bring out our creative side. The only challenging part was definitely choosing what genres to choose from.

One of my genre assignments was a children’s book about La Catrina, a significant figure in the Mexican culture and one of the main figures in Diego Rivera’s Dream of a Sunday Afternoon in Alameda Park. One of the difficulties I had addressing my genre assignment was how to speak to my audience according to their age. For example, while creating my children’s book I had a hard time trying to give enough information while at the same time I don’t give too much information that a child could couldn’t not understand. In order to overcome these barriers, I created an outline in which I used the most important information in my analytical essay and tried to simplify it in small sentences. On the other hand, my second genre assignment I had a less hard time since my audience was directed to students who can read more and comprehend readings with more knowledge. Writing a biography was easier as I could fit more information in which can be understand by students in a higher education compared to children who just started school.

Composing my genre assignments because all the information I need to create it was already gathered. The only difference was trying to bring out my creative side. The reason I choice to create a children’s book was because I believe that books for young children are very important since it is the start of their education. I also choice to create a biography of Diego Rivera because as a student when I research a person or their achievements, I look forward reading their biography. This task was very easy as I choice many of the important events in my analytical essay, I only transferred it to a straighter forward paper.

This assignment was my favorite paper to do. Especially all I had to do was to choose what type of audience I wanted to pull their attention and place myself in their shoes. Some questions I asked myself were: If I was six years old what would pull my attention? What shapes and colors are the most suitable for a children’s book? What are the most important details a biography must have?  One factor that helped me throughout this genre assignment was that I was once that audience, I was once in elementary school and once in middle school. My experiences helped me figure out the type of information my audience at that age would be most interested on. In conclusion, this assignment was very different with the pervious assignments since it was mostly concentrated on the audience and what information you want to distribute to them.